From Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Hadoop version 1.2.1 (stable) released
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:43:13 GMT
regardless of what was written in a wiki somewhere, it is a bit aggressive I think.

there are a fair number of automated things that link to the former stable releases that are
now broken as they weren't given a grace period to cut over.

not the end of the world or anything. just a bit of a disconnect to reference something labeled
stable where the reference itself isn't. too bad there isn't some 'stable' link that itself
is updated to the actual stable release.

we do this now with all of the cascading artifacts. it prevents automated things from breaking
immediately.

http://files.cascading.org/sdk/2.1/latest.txt

ckw

On Aug 5, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Matt Foley <mattf@apache.org> wrote:

> It's still available in archive at http://archive.apache.org/dist/hadoop/core/.  I can
put it back on the main download site if desired, but the model is that the main download
site is for stuff we actively want people to download.  Here is the relevant quote from http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
, under the "Publishing" section:

> 3. The release directory usually contains just two releases, the most recent from two
branches, with a link named 'stable' to the most recent recommended version.

> Quite a few more than two versions have accumulated, because more than two branches are
active.  But within the Hadoop-1 set I've tried to keep it minimal.  Since 1.2.1 was accepted
as a "stable" release, I saw no reason to keep 1.1.2, since we'd rather people downloaded
1.2.1.  When 1.3.0 is produced, since it will be "beta" quality, 1.2.1 will of course remain
as the "stable" version.

--
Chris K Wensel
chris@concurrentinc.com