Hey,

Thanks Shekhar.  That worked like a chimp.  Appreciate help from you all.  Now I will try to put files and try the word count or similar program.

Regards
ashish

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Shekhar Sharma <shekhar2581@gmail.com> wrote:
Its warning not error...

Create a directory and then do ls ( In your case /user/hduser is not created untill and unless for the first time you create a directory or put some file)

hadoop fs  -mkdir sample

hadoop fs  -ls

I would suggest if you are getting pemission problem,
please check the following:

(1) Have you run the command "hadoop namenode -format" with different user and you are accessing the hdfs with different user?