From Huy Pham <pha...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Is it safe to have static methods in Hadoop Framework
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:46:54 GMT
Hi All,
   I am writing a class (called Parser) with a couple of static functions because I don't
want millions of instances of this class to be created during the run.
   However, I realized that Hadoop will eventually produce parallel jobs, and if all jobs
will call static functions of this Parser class, would that be safe?
   In other words, will all hadoop jobs share the same class Parser or will each of them have
their own Parser? In the former case, if all jobs share the same class, then if I make the
methods synchronized, then the jobs would need to wait until the locks to the functions are
released, thus that would affect the performance. However, in later case, that would not cause
any problem.
Can someone provide some insights?
Thanks
Huy