From German Florez-Larrahondo <german...@samsung.com>
Subject RE: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 17:37:38 GMT
Also, a  simple explanation of how speculative execution works and what are
the key settings  can be found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wu_xeGdU4G8C&pg=PA216&dq=hadoop+the+definit
ive+guide+speculative+execution&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lyLoUd7bDojk9gTC1YDIBA&ved=0CD
wQ6AEwAA

In addition, there used to be other parameters (slownodethreshold,
slowtaskthreshold & speculativecap)
http://coffee2idea.blogspot.com/2011/11/hadoop-speculative-execution.html
but I believe they were deprecated...

Regards
German
./g

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:harsh@cloudera.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:11 PM
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Fault tolerance and Speculative Execution

What you describe in the first paragraph is not true.

Speculative execution API toggles are listed in the documentation:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/mapred_tutorial.html#Job+Configuration
and in the mapred-default page in property form:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/mapred-default.html. Speculative
execution is enabled by default.

--
Harsh J