From Omkar Joshi <ojo...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Compile Just a Subproject
Date Sat, 22 Jun 2013 02:49:34 GMT
Hi Curtis...I see a mismatch in paths which you have mentioned..are they
same and was a typo or a mistake?

...modify logging code in *C:/l/hadoop-yarn-applications-**
distributedshell/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/
applications/distributedshell/Client.java*
*
*
and

*
C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell
*>mvn clean install -DskipTests
C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>hadoop
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.applications.distributedshell.Client -jar
target\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
-shell_command whoami
*
*

looks like you also have another directory named "*hadoop-yarn-applications-
**distributedshell" *copied inside c:\1\...

to make it more simple...go to
"*C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell\target\"
directory and clean everything and then run the "mvn clean install" command
from *"*C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell"
directory.*
*
*
*
*
*Let me know if you can now see the jar file (with updated time stamp) or
not in target directory.*

Thanks,
Omkar Joshi
*Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Curtis Ullerich <curtullerich@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>mvn
clean install -DskipTests

> C:\l\hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell>hadoop
org.apache.hadoop.yarn.applications.distributedshell.Client -jar
> target\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
> -shell_command whoami
> ...identical output to before...
>
> Do you see anything wrong with what I've done?
>
> Thanks,
> Curtis
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Omkar Joshi <ojoshi@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Curtis,
>>
>> where are you picking your jar file from? once you run above command you
>> will see the updated jar file in
>>
>> "..../hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/target/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar"
>>
>> I hope you are not using below jar file
>>
>> "..../hadoop-dist/target/hadoop-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/share/hadoop/yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar"
>>

>> What chris has said is right.
>>
>> once you have taken latest code, you should follow below steps
>> 1) mvn clean install -DskipTests (clean to remove previously generated
>> code)
>> 2) now say you are updating distributed shell client code. then go to
>> ""..../hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/"
>> and then run "mvn clean install" and use jar from target sub folder.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Curtis Ullerich <curtullerich@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> I really appreciate the response. What you described is what I initially
>>> tried. The changes never seem to take effect though. Here's what I've done
>>> (this is Windows):
>>>
>>> cd %hadoop_install_dir%
>>> mvn clean package -DskipTests
>>> mvn install -DskipTests
>>>
>>> --- modify the code in distributed shell's Client.java ---
>>>

>>> cd hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell
>>> mvn clean
>>> mvn package -DskipTests
>>> mvn install -DskipTests
>>>
>>> Then I run the jar, just as before. I've just been changing log
>>> statements to see if the changes worked. They don't--the output doesn't
>>> change after doing this rebuild. I've also tried clearing the files put on
>>> HDFS in my user directory in case that was the issue. I've taken a more
>>> thorough look at BUILDING.txt and I seemed to be consistent with the
>>> procedures described there. Am I missing anything else? I've tried
>>> restarting yarn and dfs, though I didn't think that would matter.

have worked but no changes seem to take effect after building this