From Omkar Joshi <ojo...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Compile Just a Subproject
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 02:17:08 GMT
Hi Curtis,

where are you picking your jar file from? once you run above command you
will see the updated jar file in
"..../hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/target/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar"

I hope you are not using below jar file
"..../hadoop-dist/target/hadoop-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/share/hadoop/yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar"

What chris has said is right.

once you have taken latest code, you should follow below steps
1) mvn clean install -DskipTests (clean to remove previously generated code)
2) now say you are updating distributed shell client code. then go to
""..../hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell/"
and then run "mvn clean install" and use jar from target sub folder.

Thanks,
Omkar Joshi
*Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Curtis Ullerich <curtullerich@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I really appreciate the response. What you described is what I initially
> tried. The changes never seem to take effect though. Here's what I've done
> (this is Windows):
>
> cd %hadoop_install_dir%
> mvn clean package -DskipTests
> mvn install -DskipTests
>
> --- modify the code in distributed shell's Client.java ---
>

> cd hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-applications\hadoop-yarn-applications-distributedshell
> mvn clean
> mvn package -DskipTests
> mvn install -DskipTests
>
> Then I run the jar, just as before. I've just been changing log statements
> to see if the changes worked. They don't--the output doesn't change after
> doing this rebuild. I've also tried clearing the files put on HDFS in my
> user directory in case that was the issue. I've taken a more thorough look
> at BUILDING.txt and I seemed to be consistent with the procedures described
> there. Am I missing anything else? I've tried restarting yarn and dfs,
> though I didn't think that would matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Curtis
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Curtis,
>>
>> I handle this by running "mvn install -DskipTests" once from the root of
>> the whole hadoop project to install the sub-modules in my local Maven
>> repository.  Then, you can change your working directory to any sub-module
>> (like distributed shell) and run a successful Maven build for just that
>> sub-module.  Full details are in the BUILDING.txt file in the root of the
>> hadoop project.  Look for the section titled "Building components
>> separately".  I hope this helps.
>>
>> Chris Nauroth
>> Hortonworks
>> http://hortonworks.com/
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Curtis Ullerich <curtullerich@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> What is the way to compile just a subproject of Hadoop with Maven
>>> (without rebuilding parent modules)? In my case I'm wondering about
>>> DistributedShell. I thought that this<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1114026/maven-modules-building-a-single-specific-module/3899772#3899772>would
have worked but no changes seem to take effect after building this