From Sanjay Subramanian <Sanjay.Subraman...@wizecommerce.com>
Subject Re: Viewing snappy compressed files
Date Tue, 21 May 2013 17:56:27 GMT
+1 Thanks Rahul-da

Or u can use
hdfs dfs -text /path/to/dir/on/hdfs/part-r-00000.snappy | less

From: Rahul Bhattacharjee <rahul.rec.dgp@gmail.com<mailto:rahul.rec.dgp@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:52 AM
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Viewing snappy compressed files

I haven't tried this with snappy , but you can try using hadoop fs -text <path>

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Robert Rapplean <robert.rapplean@trueffect.com<mailto:robert.rapplean@trueffect.com>>
wrote:
Hey, there. My Google skills have failed me, and I hope someone here can point me in the right
direction.

We’re storing data on our Hadoop cluster in Snappy compressed format. When we pull a raw
file down and try to read it, however, the Snappy libraries don’t know how to read the files.
They tell me that the stream is missing the snappy identifier. I tried inserting 0xff 0x06
0x00 0x00 0x73 0x4e 0x61 0x50 0x70 0x59 into the beginning of the file, but that didn’t
do it.

Can someone point me to resources for figuring out how to uncompress these files without going
through Hadoop?

Robert Rapplean
Senior Software Engineer
303-872-2256<tel:303-872-2256>  direct  | 303.438.9597<tel:303.438.9597>  main
| www.trueffect.com<http://www.trueffect.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE