From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: Is FileSystem thread-safe?
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 13:40:48 GMT
Thanks! Does this also imply that multiple clients may open the same HDFS file for append simultaneously,
and expect append requests to be interleaved?
john

From: Arpit Agarwal [mailto:aagarwal@hortonworks.com]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 4:18 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is FileSystem thread-safe?

Hi John,

DistributedFileSystem is intended to be thread-safe, true to its name.

Metadata operations are handled by the NameNode server which synchronizes concurrent client
requests via locks (you can look at the FSNameSystem class).

Some discussion on the thread-safety aspects of HDFS:
http://storageconference.org/2010/Papers/MSST/Shvachko.pdf

-Arpit

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com<mailto:yuzhihong@gmail.com>>