From <Xia_Y...@Dell.com>
Subject RE: How to configure mapreduce archive size?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:59:08 GMT
Hi Hemanth,

For the hadoop 1.0.3, I can only find "local.cache.size" in file core-default.xml, which is
in hadoop-core-1.0.3.jar. It is not in mapred-default.xml.

I updated the value in file default.xml and changed the value to 500000. This is just for
my testing purpose. However, the folder /tmp/hadoop-root/mapred/local/archive already goes
more than 1G now. Looks like it does not do the work. Could you advise if what I did is correct?

  <name>local.cache.size</name>
  <value>500000</value>

Thanks,

Xia

From: Hemanth Yamijala [mailto:yhemanth@thoughtworks.com]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 9:09 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to configure mapreduce archive size?

Hi,

This directory is used as part of the 'DistributedCache' feature. (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/mapred_tutorial.html#DistributedCache).
There is a configuration key "local.cache.size" which controls the amount of data stored under
DistributedCache. The default limit is 10GB. However, the files under this cannot be deleted
if they are being used. Also, some frameworks on Hadoop could be using DistributedCache transparently
to you.

So you could check what is being stored here and based on that lower the limit of the cache
size if you feel that will help. The property needs to be set in mapred-default.xml.

Thanks
Hemanth

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM, <Xia_Yang@dell.com<mailto:Xia_Yang@dell.com>>