From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Is disk use reported with replication?
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2013 02:48:20 GMT
Hi Keith,

The "fs -du" computes length of files, and would not report replicated
on-disk size. HDFS disk utilization OTOH, is the current, simple
report of used/free disk space, which would certainly include
replicated data.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> Simple question: When I issue a "hadoop fs -du" command and/or when I view the namenode
web UI to see HDFS disk utilization (which the namenode reports both as bytes and percentage),
should I expect to see disk use reported as "true data size" or as replicated size (e.g. with
3X replication, should I expect reported values to be three times higher than the actual underlying
data itself)?

> Thanks.

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was.  Now, what I'm with
> isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me."
>                                            --  Abe (Grandpa) Simpson

Harsh J