From Keith Thomas <keith.tho...@gmail.com>
Subject The most newbie question ever
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:00:45 GMT
After three years in a non-Hadoop Windows wilderness I am lucky enough to
return and wow I find Hadoop 2.0 .... Brilliant!

I quickly navigated here:
   http://hadoop.apache.org/index.html#Getting+Started

and eagerly downloaded 2.0.3 alpha. Hmmm, now what? I see the following
sections,

*Getting Started *

*To get started, begin here:*

   1. *Learn about <http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/> Hadoop by
   reading the documentation.*
   2. *Download <http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html> Hadoop from the
   release page.*
   3. *Discuss <http://hadoop.apache.org/mailing_lists.html> Hadoop on the
   mailing list.*

but I can't find installation instructions. I look for the latest version
of my Tom White collection and the latest book is a year old and is
unlikely to be current enough to be of use to someone as out of date as me.
Please help me to get started. So far I've only managed to download and
unzip 2.0.3 and to install open jdk 6.

Many thanks for your patience.