From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject hadoop file append
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:44:53 GMT
Hi list,

I'm using Hadoop 1.0.3 for a MapReduce task and I thought it might be a simple job to append
a Counter value and some text to the end of a file (which ultimately will be in AWS S3). How
wrong I was :)

I've been reading about o.a.h.fs.FileSystem.append and whether it does or doesn't work in
my version of hadoop, and I'm not sure if it does or not. Can anyone say for definite either
way? I'm going with the conclusion that it can't be trusted to perform as expected.

What I'd like to do is this: Perform a daily MapReduce job and add up some some values along
the way, and as well as the output of the MR job, add that day's date with the Counter value
to the end of a file (in a different location), so the file grows by one line daily. Assuming
o.a.h.fs.FileSystem.append is currently out of favour, do you have any suggestions for achieving
this?

Thanks!

Tony

Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this
email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying
by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor
the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any
computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility
of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage
arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered
in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Gateway House,
Milverton Street, London, SE11 4AP.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404) and Gambling Commission (reg. no. 000-027343-R-308898-001).
 Any financial promotion contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM