From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello and request some advice.
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 19:53:50 GMT
Uhm...

Well, you can talk to Microsoft and Hortonworks about Microsoft as a platform.

Depending on the power of your laptop, you could create a VM and run hadoop in a pseudo distributed
mode there.

You could also get an Amazon Web Services account and build a small cluster via EMR...

In terms of OS, Centos is free and its a solid platform for Hadoop.
You could then download Cloudera's CHDx and run it in a pseudo distributed cluster on a single
node.

Lots of options...

On Jan 4, 2013, at 1:27 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:

> I personally find Windows easier to use, however it is not a supported Hadoop production
environment, and I *think* you have to use Cygwin under Windows even for development.
> Given that, if you want to use a Windows machine and performance is not a consideration,
you could spin up a VirtualBox VM under Windows and install CentOS on it.
> John

Hadoop?