From bejoy.had...@gmail.com
Subject Re: more reduce tasks
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 05:24:37 GMT
Hi Chen,

You do have an option in hadoop to achieve this if you want the merged file in LFS.

1) Run your job with n number of reducers. And you'll have n files in the output dir.

2) Issue a hadoop fs -getmerge command to get the files in output dir merged into a single
file in LFS
(In recent versions use 'hdfs dfs -getmerge')

Regards
Bejoy KS

-----Original Message-----
From: Chen He <airbots@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 22:55:36
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: more reduce tasks

Sounds like you want more reducer to reduce the execution time but only
want a single output file.

Is this waht you want?

You can use as many as your want (may not be optimal) reducers when you are
running your reducer. Once the program is done, write a small perl, python,
or shell program connect those part-* files.

if you do not want to write your own script to connect those files and let
Hadoop automatically generate a single file.

It may need some patched to current Hadoop. I am not sure they are ready or
not.