From Nitin Kesarwani <bumble....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: migrate cluster to different datacenter
Date Sat, 04 Aug 2012 12:32:51 GMT
Given the size of data, there can be several approaches here:

1. Moving the boxes

Not possible, as I suppose the data must be needed for 24x7 analytics.

2. Mirroring the data.

This is a good solution. However, if you have data being written/removed
continuously (if a part of live system), there are chances of losing some
of the data during mirroring happens, unless
a) You block writes/updates during that time (if you do so, that would be
as good as unplugging and moving the machine around), or,
b) Keep a track of what was modified since you started the mirroring
process.

I would recommend you to go with 2b) because it minimizes downtime. Here is
how I think you can do it, by using some of the tools provided by Hadoop
itself.

a) You can use some fast distributed copying tool to copy large chunks of
data. Before you kick-off with this, you can create a utility that tracks
the modification of data made to your live system while copying is going on
in the background. The utility will log the modifications into an audit
trail.
b) Once you're done copying the files,  allow the new data store
replication to catch up by reading the real-time modifications that were
made, from your utility's log file. Once sync'ed up you can begin with the
minimal downtime by switching off the JobTracker in live cluster so that
new files are not created.
c) As soon as you reach the last chunk of copying, change the DNS entries
so that the hostnames referenced by the Hadoop jobs points to the new
location.
d) Turn on the JobTracker for the new cluster.
e) Enjoy a drink with the money you saved by not using other paid third
party solutions and pat your back! ;)

The key of the above solution is to make data copying of step a) as fast as
possible. Lesser the time, lesser the contents in audit trail, lesser the
overall downtime.

You can develop some in house solution for this, or use DistCp, provided by
Hadoop that uses copies over the data using Map/Reduce.