From Scott Fines <scottfi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Learning about different distributions of Hadoop
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:17:15 GMT
That's a bit like asking people what the best Linux Distro is..they all serve (mostly) the
same function, and you're likely to start a religious war by stating their differences.

The main point running through all the different flavors of Hadoop is that they are all Hadoop.
The differences only come from the chosen patch sets, which are all open-sourced anyway. At
least in theory, you could rebuild Cloudera/Hortonworks/whatever just by applying the right
sequences of patch sets to core Hadoop.

The real question is: Are you happy with what you are currently using? If so, why worry about
it? If not, why are you unhappy? Answering that question is likely to give you the guidance
you would like in terms of what flavor you wish to pick.

Scott