From Clay McDonald <stuart.mcdon...@bateswhite.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop Installation on Ubuntu
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 03:16:27 GMT
I used hduser to do the install.

You need to add both the hduser user and hadoop group, use the following;
$ sudo addgroup hadoop
$ sudo adduser --ingroup hadoop hduser

To check is hduser belongs to the hadoop group, use the following;
hduser@Bigdata:~$ groups
hduser adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin sambashare admin

add existing hduser to hadoop group.
hduser@Bigdata:~$ sudo usermod -g hadoop hduser
hduser@Bigdata:~$ groups
hduser hadoop adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin sambashare admin

If you need to change the directory ownership, use;
hduser@Bigdata:~$ sudo chown -R hduser:hadoop /usr/local/hadoop/

Clay McDonald

-----Original Message-----
From: Ying Huang [mailto:huangyingw@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 11:03 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop Installation on Ubuntu

Hello,
     I have downloaded hadoop_1.0.3-1_x86_64.deb from hadoop official website, and installed
using command under root privileged.
     dpkg -i hadoop_1.0.3-1_x86_64.deb
     But there is an error: chown: invalid group: `root:hadoop'.
     And later, when I running hadoop-setup-single-node.sh, I got lots of chown errors:

Proceed with setup? (y/n) y
chown: invalid user: `mapred:hadoop'
chown: invalid user: `hdfs:hadoop'
chown: invalid user: `mapred:hadoop'
chown: invalid user: `hdfs:hadoop'
chown: invalid group: `root:hadoop'
chown: invalid user: `hdfs:hadoop'
chown: invalid user: `mapred:hadoop'
chown: invalid group: `root:hadoop'
chown: invalid group: `root:hadoop'
chown: invalid group: `root:hadoop'
     My java version is

java version "1.6.0_24"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11.1) (6b24-1.11.1-4ubuntu3) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server
VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

     Should I manually create the group "hadoop", if so, with what command or right mode,
444 or 777?
     And is there detail document about how to install and setup using deb file?

-- Best Regards
Ying Huang