From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop security API (repost)
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:46:01 GMT
> You could do that, but that means your app will have to have keytabs
> for all the users want to act as. Proxyuser will be much easier to
> manage. Maybe getting proxyuser support in hbase if it is not there
> yet

I don't think proxy auth is what the OP is after. Do I have that
right? Implies the presence of a node somewhere to act as the proxy.
For HBase, there is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5050
which would enable proxyuser support via the REST gateway as simple
follow on work.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Tony Dean <Tony.Dean@sas.com> wrote:
>> Alejandro,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.  My intent is to also be able to scan/get/put hbase tables
under a specified identity as well.  What options do I have to perform the same multi-tenant
 authorization for these operations?  I have posted this to hbase users distribution list
as well, but thought you might have insight.  Since hbase security authentication is so dependent
upon hadoop, it would be nice if your suggestion worked for hbase as well.

>> Getting back to your suggestion... when configuring "hadoop.proxyuser.myserveruser.hosts",
host1 would be where I'm making the ugi.doAs() privileged call and host2 is the hadoop namenode?

> host1 in that case.
>
>> Also, an another option, is there not a way for an application to pass hadoop/hbase
authentication the name of a Kerberos principal to use?  In this case, no proxy, just execute
as the designated user.

> You could do that, but that means your app will have to have keytabs
> for all the users want to act as. Proxyuser will be much easier to
> manage. Maybe getting proxyuser support in hbase if it is not there
> yet
>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Tony

users (like Ooize, as you mentioned in your email), then you should use the proxyuser capabilities
of Hadoop.

>> * Configure user MYSERVERUSER as proxyuser in Hadoop core-site.xml (this requires
2 properties settings, HOSTS and GROUPS).
>> * Run your server app as MYSERVERUSER and have a Kerberos principal MYSERVERUSER/MYSERVERHOST
>> * Initialize your server app loading the MYSERVERUSER/MYSERVERHOST keytab
>> * Use the UGI.doAs() to create JobClient/Filesystem instances using the user you
want to do something on behalf
>> * Keep in mind that all the users you need to do something on behalf should be valid
Unix users in the cluster
>> * If those users need direct access to the cluster, they'll have to be also defined
in in the KDC user database.

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:22 AM, Tony Dean <Tony.Dean@sas.com> wrote:
>>> Yes, but this will not work in a multi-tenant environment.  I need to be able
to create a Kerberos TGT per execution thread.

>>> I was hoping through JAAS that I could inject the name of the current principal
and authenticate against it.  I'm sure there is a best practice for hadoop/hbase client API
authentication, just not sure what it is.

>>> Thank you for your comment.  The solution may well be associated with the UserGroupInformation
class.  Hopefully, other ideas will come from this thread.

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Tony

locate it "automatically" if the name of the ticket cache corresponds to default location.
On Linux it is located /tmp/krb5cc_uid-number.

>>> For example, with my linux user hdfs, I get a TGT for hadoop user 'ivan'
>>> meaning you can impersonate ivan from hdfs linux user:
>>> hdfs@mitkdc:~$ klist
>>> Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_10003
>>> Default principal: ivan@HADOOP.LAN
>>>
>>> Valid starting    Expires           Service principal
>>> 02/07/2012 13:59  02/07/2012 23:59  krbtgt/HADOOP.LAN@HADOOP.LAN renew
>>> until 03/07/2012 13:59
>>>
>>> Then, you just have to set the right security options in your hadoop client in
java and the identity will be ivan@HADOOP.LAN for our example. In my tests, I only use HDFS
and here a snippet of code to have access to a secure hdfs cluster assuming the previous TGT
(ivan's impersonation):

>>>      val conf: HdfsConfiguration = new HdfsConfiguration()
>>>
>>> conf.set(CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION,
>>> "kerberos")
>>>
>>> conf.set(CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHORIZATION,
>>> "true")
>>>      conf.set(DFSConfigKeys.DFS_NAMENODE_USER_NAME_KEY,
>>> serverPrincipal)
>>>
>>>      UserGroupInformation.setConfiguration(conf)
>>>
>>>      val fs = FileSystem.get(new URI(hdfsUri), conf)
>>>
>>> Using this 'fs' is a handler to access hdfs securely as user 'ivan' even if ivan
does not appear in the hadoop client code.

>>> Anyway, I also see two other options:
>>>   * Setting the KRB5CCNAME environment variable to point to the right ticketCache
file
>>>   * Specifying the keytab file you want to use from the UserGroupInformation
singleton API:
>>> UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromKeytab(user, keytabFile)
>>>
>>> If you want to understand the auth process and the different options to login,
I guess you need to have a look to the UserGroupInformation.java source code (release 0.23.1
link: http://bit.ly/NVzBKL). The private class HadoopConfiguration line 347 is of major interest
in our case.

>>> Another point is that I did not find any easy way to prompt the user for a password
at runtim using the actual hadoop API. It appears to be somehow hardcoded in the UserGroupInformation
singleton. I guess it could be nice to have a new function to give to the UserGroupInformation
an authenticated 'Subject' which could override all default configurations. If someone have
better ideas it could be nice to discuss on it as well.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)