From Tony Dean <Tony.D...@sas.com>
Subject hadoop file permission 1.0.3 (security)
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:41:25 GMT
Can someone detail the options that are available to set file permissions at the hadoop and
os level?  Here's what I have discovered thus far:

dfs.permissions  = true|false (works as advertised)
dfs.supergroup = supergroup (works as advertised)
dfs.umaskmode = umask (I believe this should be used in lieu of dfs.umask) - it appears to
set the permissions for files created in hadoop fs (minus execute permission).
why was dffs.umask deprecated?  what's difference between the 2.
dfs.datanode.data.dir.perm = perm (not sure this is working at all?) I thought it was supposed
to set permission on blks at the os level.

Are there any other file permission configuration properties?

What I would really like to do is set data blk file permissions at the os level so that the
blocks can be locked down from all users except super and supergroup, but allow it to be used
accessed by hadoop API as specified by hdfs permissions.  Is this possible?

Thanks.

Tony Dean
SAS Institute Inc.
Senior Software Developer