From Darrell Taylor <darrell.tay...@gmail.com>
Subject Pragmatic cluster backup strategies?
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 16:19:20 GMT
Hi,

We are about to build a 10 machine cluster with 40Tb of storage, obviously
as this gets full actually trying to create an offsite backup becomes a
problem unless we build another 10 machine cluster (too expensive right
now).  Not sure if it will help but we have planned the cabinet into an
upper and lower half with separate redundant power, then we plan to put
half of the cluster in the top, half in the bottom, effectively 2 racks, so
in theory we could lose half the cluster and still have the copies of all
the blocks with a replication factor of 3?  Apart form the data centre
burning down or some other disaster that would render the machines totally
unrecoverable, is this approach good enough?

I realise this is a very open question and everyone's circumstances are
different, but I'm wondering what other peoples experiences/opinions are
for backing up cluster data?

Thanks
Darrell.