From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Append supported in hadoop 1.0.x branch?
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 11:39:04 GMT
Rodney,

I haven't tested append() enough times to know what triggers it but I
have often observed, both over the 0.20-append-based clusters I've
troubleshooted on and on the cdh-users list, that append() has lead to
odd tailing block sizes (beyond maximum allowed) and on/off warnings
of corrupt/failed blocks (relating to only the appended files though,
not random). In a few cases this leads to temporary unavailability of
data as client reports all blocks bad to the NN, which is a 'data
loss' case as any (for the moment anyway). I've not seen permanent or
spreading corruption, but this case was odd enough for me to not
recommend append() (not sync()) over that branch/releases that use it.
 YMMV. I'm unsure of the JIRA here or if this is the issue with the
new 2.x impl. as well, and I'll let other HDFS devs answer that.

The HBase case speaks for HBase's own use - which is just sync() at
this point. This is further why
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-8230 was done to separate
configs when toggling these two append() and sync() calls, so the docs
don't appear confusing as they do now.

--
Harsh J