From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Small glitch with setting up two node cluster...only secondary node starts (datanode and namenode don't show up in jps)
Date Tue, 29 May 2012 17:38:44 GMT

The SNN may start and run infinitely without doing any work. The NN
and DN have probably not started cause the NN has an issue (perhaps NN
name directory isn't formatted) and the DN can't find the NN (or has
data directory issues as well).

So this isn't a glitch but a real issue you'll have to take a look at
your logs for.

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Rohit Pandey <rohitpandey576@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Hadoop community,
> I have been trying to set up a double node Hadoop cluster (following
> the instructions in -
> http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-multi-node-cluster/)
> and am very close to running it apart from one small glitch - when I
> start the dfs (using start-dfs.sh), it says:
> starting datanode, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-datanode-ubuntu.out
> starting datanode, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-datanode-pandro51-OptiPlex-960.out
> starting secondarynamenode, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-secondarynamenode-pandro51-OptiPlex-960.out
> starting jobtracker, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-jobtracker-pandro51-OptiPlex-960.out
> starting tasktracker, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-tasktracker-pandro51-OptiPlex-960.out
> starting tasktracker, logging to
> /usr/local/hadoop/bin/../logs/hadoop-pandro51-tasktracker-ubuntu.out
> which looks like it's been successful in starting all the nodes.
> However, when I check them out by running 'jps', this is what I see:
> 27531 SecondaryNameNode
> 27879 Jps
> As you can see, there is no datanode and name node. I have been
> racking my brains at this for quite a while now. Checked all the
> inputs and every thing. Any one know what the problem might be?
> --
> Thanks in advance,
> Rohit

Harsh J