From Amith D K <amit...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: adding or restarting a data node in a hadoop cluster
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 03:22:19 GMT
Hi sumadhur,

As u mentioned configureg the NN and JT ip would be enough.

I am not able to understand how on DN restart its IP get changed?

From: sumadhur [sumadhur_iitr@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 10:58 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: adding or restarting a data node in a hadoop cluster

I am on hadoop 0.20.

To add a data node to a cluster, if we do not use the include/exclude/slaves files, do we
need to  do anything other than configuring the hdfs-site.xml to point to name node and the
mapred-site.xml to point to job tracker?

For example, should the job tracker and name node be restarted always?

On a related note, if we restart a data node(that has some blocks on it) and the data node
now has new IP address, Should we restart namenode/job tracker for hdfs and map-reduce to
function correctly?
Would the blocks on the restarted data node be detected or would hdfs think that these blocks
were lost and start replicating them?

Thanks,
Sumadhur