From "Manish Bhoge" <manishbh...@rocketmail.com>
Subject Re: How to load raw log file into HDFS?
Date Tue, 15 May 2012 01:45:27 GMT
You first need to copy data using copyFromLocal to your HDFS and then you can utilize PIG and
Hive program for further analysis which run on map reduce. Yes warehouse directory is in HDFS.
If you want to run(test) PIG in local then in that case you don't to copy data to HDFS
Sent from my BlackBerry, pls excuse typo

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Wang <Michael.Wang@meredith.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:43:47
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org<common-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: RE: How to load raw log file into HDFS?

I have the same question and I am glad to get you guys' help. I am also novice in Hadoop :)
I am using pig and hive to analyze the logs. My logs are in <LOCAL_FILE_PATH>.
Do I need to use "hadoop fs -copyFromLocal" to put files to <HDFS_FILE_PATH> first,
and then load data files to pig or hive from <HDFS_FILE_PATH>? Or can just load logs
from Local_file_path directly to pig or hive? After I load the files to hive, I found it is
put at /user/hive/warehouse. Is /user/hive/warehouse a HDFS?
How do I know what <HDFS_FILE_PATH> are available?