From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: reducers and data locality
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:22:36 GMT
Also generating random keys/partitions can be problematic.  Although the problems are rare.
 A mapper can be restarted after it finishes successfully if the machine it was on goes down
or has other problems so that the reducers and not able to get that mapper's output data.
 If this happens while some of the reducers have finished fetching it, but not all of them,
and the new mapper partitions things differently some records may show up twice in your output
and others not at all.

If you do something like random for the partitioning make sure that you use a constant seed
so that it is deterministic.

--Bobby Evans