From Shailesh Samudrala <shailesh2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: need help regarding eclipse plugin for hadoop
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:46:52 GMT
Hi,

On top of the Hadoop eclipse plugin, you already need to have a Hadoop
Virtual Machine, where eclipse can run the code, and a local library of
hadoop, which will be used by Eclipse to compile your code.
Below are the steps that I used to run a sample wordcount example on the
Hadoop VM.
1. Download this virtual appliance:
http://shared.zenfs.com/hadoop-vm-appliance-0-20-S.zip

Also, download a relevant version of hadoop onto your computer, you will
need to provide the path to the hadoop library to Eclipse.

2. Login using: hadoop-user, pwd: hadoop

3. Try this command: hadoop dfs -ls
if you get an error, then use this command
kinit -k -t /home/hadoop-user/hadoop-user.keytab
hadoop-user/localhost@LOCALDOMAIN

This will setup your Hadoop VM

Next, to install the plugin on eclipse,

1. Download this plugin, and place it in the plugin directory in eclipse
http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/tools/hadoopvm/hadoop-eclipse-plugin.jar

2. Use the steps mentioned here to configure the plugin in eclipse:
http://code.google.com/edu/parallel/tools/hadoopvm/index.html

Host id is the IP address that is printed on VM startup
Hadoop directory: /home/hadoop-user/hadoop

3. Create input directory in hadoop DFS, which will be input directory for
map reduce, and create a text file which will be the input file.

a) vi temp.txt
b) mkdir input
c) mv temp.txt input/temp.txt
d) hadoop dfs copyFromLocal input .
e) mkdir output
f) hadoop dfs copyFromLoacl output .

4. Then run the code attached on the hadoop server, if it runs
successfully, the output will be stored in the output directory.
a) vi output/part-r-00000