From Suresh Srinivas <sur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: hadoop permission guideline
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:56:33 GMT
Can you please take this discussion CDH mailing list?

On Mar 22, 2012, at 7:51 AM, Michael Wang <Michael.Wang@meredith.com> wrote:

> I have installed Cloudera hadoop (CDH). I used its Cloudera Manager to install all needed
packages. When it was installed, the root is used.  I found the installation created some
users, such as hdfs, hive, mapred,hue,hbase...
> After the installation, should we change some permission or ownership of some directories/files?
For example, to use HIVE. It works fine with root user, since the metatore directory belongs
to root. But in order to let other user use HIVE, I have to change metastore ownership to
a specific non-root user, then it works. Is it the best practice?
> Another example is the start-all.sh, stop-all.sh.... they all belong to root. Should
I change them to other user? I guess there are more cases...

> Thanks,
>

> This electronic message, including any attachments, may contain proprietary, confidential
or privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). You are hereby notified
that any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete it.