From blarochelle <blaroche...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop 1.0.0 - stuck at map reduce
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:29:05 GMT

I've installed Hadoop 1.0.0 on Ubuntu. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 in Virtual
Box.  I am running single node (all on my virtual box).

I can't get the examples to run. Once it hits the map reduce stage it just
hangs. HDFS seems fine (the jobs create directories/files OK I think). See
output below (console and web output on port 50030). I can even navigate to
the job but it doesn't run!

I am new to Hadoop/Mapreduce and just want to get the examples running
before I start diving in. It took me a while to get the configuration
working to this point but now I am really stuck.

I assume this is a resource issue (because of running on VirtualBox I don't
have scads of disk or memory). I also read that there were issues with
ubuntu with having IPV6turned on but don't want to make changes there unless
I can verify that is the issue.

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I would love to dig into Hadoop and
my laptop with Virtual box is the most convenient place to do it.

Hope I can get some help here! THanks in advance!

Bob

Console output:

hdfs@bob-laptop:~$ hadoop jar /usr/share/hadoop/hadoop-examples-1.0.1.jar pi
10 100
Number of Maps  = 10
Samples per Map = 100
Wrote input for Map #0
Wrote input for Map #1
Wrote input for Map #2
Wrote input for Map #3
Wrote input for Map #4
Wrote input for Map #5
Wrote input for Map #6
Wrote input for Map #7
Wrote input for Map #8
Wrote input for Map #9
Starting Job
12/03/16 11:12:12 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process
: 10
12/03/16 11:12:19 INFO mapred.JobClient: Running job: job_201203161018_0001
12/03/16 11:12:20 INFO mapred.JobClient:  map 0% reduce 0%

Here is what the web interface on port 50030 tells me:

Hadoop Job Queue Scheduling Information on localhost
State : running
Scheduling Information : Queue configuration
Capacity Percentage: 100.0%
User Limit: 100%
Priority Supported: NO
Map tasks