From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Re: Is there a way to get an absolute HDFS path?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:01:03 GMT
Hmmm, that's interesting.  Unless I'm misunderstanding you, the associated operation in conventional
file systems (such as the pwd) command only work because "something" already knows the absolute
path and can produce it on demand.  If all you have is a relative path (such as "top/sub"
in your original example) then it's fundamentally too late to turn it into an absolute path;
it's inherently ambiguous.

Perhaps someone else can help.  I'm sure I haven't.  I just found your initial question interesting
so I wanted to ask about it a bit.

Sorry.

On Mar 12, 2012, at 14:51 , W.P. McNeill wrote:

> I want to normalize the paths. I don't actually care about the specific
> string representations, just that two paths that point to the same location
> in HDFS could be recognized as equivalent. Usually the way you do this in
> file systems is get an absolute path, so that's why I'm looking for one
> here.

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson, that to be
self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to aspire is better than to
be blindly and impotently happy."
                                           --  Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland