From Prashant Sharma <prashan...@imaginea.com>
Subject Re: working with SAS
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 08:32:53 GMT
+ you will not necessarily need vertical systems for speeding up
things(totally depends on your query) . Give a thought of having commodity
hardware(much cheaper) and hadoop being suited for them, *I hope* your
infrastructure can be cheaper in terms of price to performance ratio.
Having said that, I do not mean you have to throw away you existing
infrastructure, because it is ideal for certain requirements.

your solution can be like writing a mapreduce job which does what query is
supposed to do and run it on a cluster of size ? depends! (how fast you
want things be done? and scale). Incase your querry is adhoc and have to be
run frequently. You might wanna consider HBASE and HIVE as solutions with a
lot of expensive vertical nodes ;).

BTW Is your querry iterative? A little more details on your type of querry
can attract guy's with more wisdom to help.

HTH