From Varun Kapoor <rez...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Does Hadoop 0.20.205 and Ganglia 3.1.7 compatible with each other ?
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2012 02:01:36 GMT
Hey Merto,

I've been digging into this problem since Sunday, and believe I may have
root-caused it.

I'm using ganglia-3.2.0, rrdtool-1.4.5 and
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1/ (which I
believe should be running essentially the identical relevant code as
0.20.205).

While I test out one of my potential fixes, I would appreciate if you could
confirm my understanding of the behavior you are seeing:

   - When you start gmetad and Hadoop is not emitting metrics, everything
   is peachy.
   - When you start Hadoop (and it thus starts emitting metrics), gmetad
   cores.
      - On my MacBookPro, it's a SIGABRT due to a buffer overflow.

I believe this is happening for everyone. What I would like for you to try
out are the following 2 scenarios:

   - Once gmetad cores, if you start it up again, does it core again? Does
   this process repeat ad infinitum?
      - On my MBP, the core is a one-time thing, and restarting gmetad
      after the first core makes things run perfectly smoothly.
         - I know others are saying this core occurs continuously, but they
         were all using ganglia-3.1.x, and I'm interested in how ganglia-3.2.0
         behaves for you.
         - If you start Hadoop first (so gmetad is not running when the
   first batch of Hadoop metrics are emitted) and THEN start gmetad after a
   few seconds, do you still see gmetad coring?
      - On my MBP, this sequence works perfectly fine, and there are no
      gmetad cores whatsoever.

Bear in mind that this only addresses the gmetad coring issue - the
warnings emitted about '4.9E-324' being out of range will continue, but I
know what's causing that as well (and hope that my patch fixes it for free).

Varun