From Patrick Angeles <patrickange...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Datacenter Setup
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 02:17:13 GMT
Hey Aaron,

I'm still skeptical when it comes to flash drives, especially as pertains
to Hadoop. The write cycle limit is impractical to make them usable for
dfs.data.dir and mapred.local.dir, and as you pointed out, you can't use
them for logs either.

If you put HADOOP_LOG_DIR in /mnt/d0, you will still have to shut down the
TT and DN in order to replace the drive. So you may as well just carve out
100GB from that drive and put your root filesystem there.

I'd say that unless you're running some extremely CPU-heavy workloads, you
should consider getting more than 3 drives per node. Most shops get 6-12
drives per node (with dual quad or hex core processors). Then you can
sacrifice one of the drives for swap and the OS.

I'd keep the RegionServer heap at 12GB or under to mitigate long GC pauses
(the bigger the heap, the longer the eventual full GC).

Finally, you can run Hive on the same cluster as HBase, just be wary of
load spikes due to MR jobs and configure properly. You don't want a large
Hive query to knock out your RegionServers thereby causing cascading

- P