From Tony Burton <TBur...@SportingIndex.com>
Subject has bzip2 compression been deprecated?
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 13:47:45 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to work out which compression algorithm I should be using in my MapReduce jobs.
 It seems to me that the best solution is a compromise between speed, efficiency and splittability.
The only compression algorithm to handle file splits (according to Hadoop: The Definitive
Guide 2nd edition p78 etc) is bzip2, at the expense of compression speed.

However, I see from the documentation at http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/native_libraries.html
that the bzip2 library is no longer mentioned, and hasn't been since version 0.20.0, see http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.0/native_libraries.html
- however the bzip2 Codec is still in the API at http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/io/compress/BZip2Codec.html.

Has bzip2 support been removed from Hadoop, or will it be removed soon?

Thanks,

Tony

This email and any attachments are confidential, protected by copyright and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, then the dissemination or copying of this
email is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender by replying
by email and then delete the email completely from your system.  Neither Sporting Index nor
the sender accepts responsibility for any virus, or any other defect which might affect any
computer or IT system into which the email is received and/or opened.  It is the responsibility
of the recipient to scan the email and no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage
arising in any way from receipt or use of this email.  Sporting Index Ltd is a company registered
in England and Wales with company number 2636842, whose registered office is at Brookfield
House, Green Lane, Ivinghoe, Leighton Buzzard, LU7 9ES.  Sporting Index Ltd is authorised
and regulated by the UK Financial Services Authority (reg. no. 150404). Any financial promotion
contained herein has been issued
and approved by Sporting Index Ltd.

Outbound email has been scanned for viruses and SPAM