From vvkbtnkr <vvkbt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Wrong version of jackson parser while running a hadoop job
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:59:12 GMT

I am running a hadoop jar and keep getting this error -
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.codehaus.jackson.JsonParser.getValueAsLong()

on digging deeper, this is what I can find:- my jar packages version 1.8.5
of jackson-mapper-asl (Jackson json parser) and I can verify that by using
"mvn dependency:resolve". I see that the proper version is being packaged
into my jar.

However, initially my jar was packaging version 1.0.1 of jackson-mapper-asl
in the jar, thats because my jar depends on hadoop core 1.0.0 and as can be
seen here

/org/apache/hadoop/hadoop-core/1.0.0/hadoop-core-1.0.0.pom

contains the following dependency section:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.codehaus.jackson</groupId>
      <artifactId>jackson-mapper-asl</artifactId>
      <version>1.0.1</version>
    </dependency>

That is hadoop core depends on version 1.0.1 ...

Given this, my current guess is that, though my jar which i run as

hadoop jar myjar.jar

contains the proper version of jackson parser, somehow during the call to
"hadoop jar" , the wrong version , 1.0.1, of the jar is being loaded by
hadoop.  Does this make sense? I spent a lot of time verifying that the
created jar file "myjar.jar" does indeed have proper version of jackson
parser (i checked the size of JsonParser.class files in my jar is exactly
the same as version 1.8.5 of jackson-mapper-asl), so something seems to be
happening while hadoop is loading the classes, and am thinking it probably
loads version 1.0.1 first, as hadoop core depends on it.

Any one faced similar issues, any idea where to look  ...