From Sanjeev Verma <sanjeev.x.ve...@gmail.com>
Subject Question on deprecations in Hadoop 0.20.203.0 API
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2011 01:23:57 GMT
Hey everyone:

I am going through the "hadoop in action" book, and I guess the version of
hadoop that book refers to is already old :-). The installation I have is
0.20.203.0, and in this version, a few key base classes have been
deprecated, like:

Interface InputSplit is deprecated in favor of InputSplit abstract class

class org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LineRecordReader is deprecated in favor of
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.LineRecordReader

Without knowing in detail why these deprecation decisions were made, it
seems a bit adhoc to me (I am definitely missing something, I am sure...).
For example, while the deprecated LineRecordReader does have a replacement
in the org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input package, I see that another
reader, KeyValueLineRecordReader, has not bee deprecated while it is
internally using the deprecated LineRecordReader. So i guess my question
is, why?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Sanjeev