From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop next stable release
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:05:53 GMT

On Nov 22, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Niranjan Balasubramanian wrote:

> Hello
> We are currently using hadoop 0.20.203 on a 10 node cluster. We are considering upgrading
to a newer version and I have two questions in this regard.
> 1) It seems 0.21 is unlikely to become a stable release anytime soon and we are weary
of moving to an unstable release. Our primary concern is the data we have on our hdfs.  I
want to know if anyone has been using 0.21 in production and would like to hear about your
experiences? Any advice on this front is appreciated.
> 2) Do we know when 0.23 is likely to become stable? There has been some discussion on
mail #dev* about 0.23 becoming stable sometime soon. Is it going to happen by the end of this

Currently hadoop-0.23 has undergone significant feature, scale and performance testing at
~500 nodes, but there is some more to go.

We anticipate deploying to a few alpha clusters of sizes between 1000-2000 nodes in Jan in
secure environments (is security important to you?).

I'd say for your scale late Q1, 2012 should a good time frame.

View raw message