From Ayon Sinha <ayonsi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HBase Stack
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:54:56 GMT
I believe one of the biggest problem you will face with HBase in a small setup is that MySQL
is happy with single machine setup (less maintenance headache for small scale projects) compared
to HBase running in pseudo-ditrib mode. In the pseudo-distib mode single HBase machine will
have too much overhead. It will really shine when you grow really big and need to scale out.
THats when HBase will pull-out from MySQL really fast.

This particular scenario is very well described in the HBase: The Def Guide book. When you
have to grow, LAMP stack need things like memcached + sharding (lots of headache).. compared
to HBase (headache growing smaller with more community support and stability).
See My Photos on Flickr
Also check out my Blog for answers to commonly asked questions.

To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: HBase Stack

Hi Travis,

I think I wasn't very clear about my question:
If the project grows, you will be able to have machines optimized for
special things (hbase-servers and tomcat-servers, maybe devided into
sub-groups with special hardware-requirements for more efficiency).
And this is what you should do, if your project grows and you gain the
revenue neccessary to pay for it.

My question was more targeted at the starting point of a (small) project:
How does a machine with Linux, Java (Tomcat) and MySQL competes with the
same setup with HBase beeing the database server?
Given this example one can assume that you access your data in MySQL by PK.