From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: About Tasktracker and DataNode
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 04:10:54 GMT
Yes, you can do this - the services are not coupled with one another.

Just start tasktrackers on one set of machines, and datanodes on
another set of machines (via bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start
{tasktracker,datanode} or so, individually.)

You will lose out on complete data locality during processing, however.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Xianqing Yu <xyu6@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I have a question about how to setup hadoop cluster. Could I set TaskTracker and DataNode
running on the different machines? Which means one machine with Tasktracker only, and one
machine has DataNode daemon only.

--
Harsh J