From Meng Mao <meng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ways to expand hadoop.tmp.dir capacity?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 05:44:09 GMT
I just read this:

MapReduce performance can also be improved by distributing the temporary
data generated by MapReduce tasks across multiple disks on each machine:

  <property>
    <name>mapred.local.dir</name>
    <value>/d1/mapred/local,/d2/mapred/local,/d3/mapred/local,/d4/mapred/local</value>
    <final>true</final>

  </property>

Given that the default value is ${hadoop.tmp.dir}/mapred/local, would the
expanded capacity we're looking for be as easily accomplished as by defining
mapred.local.dir to span multiple disks? Setting aside the issue of temp
files so big that they could still fill a whole disk.