From "Peng, Wei" <Wei.P...@xerox.com>
Subject RE: jobtracker cannot be started
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:00:27 GMT
I am using the default heap size, which is 1000MB. The jobtracker hung
when only I was running one job. Now I could not even restart the
jobtracker.
Can you teach me how to turn on GC logging in hadoop?

Thanks!
Wei

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander C.H. Lorenz [mailto:wget.null@googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 3:54 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: jobtracker cannot be started

Hi,

what are the heap size you given at the jobtracker? And how much jobs /
users / tasks are run? What say a log?
Turn on GC logging:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/GCPortal/

- Alex

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Peng, Wei <Wei.Peng@xerox.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> When I was running a job on hadoop with 75% mappers finished, the
> jobtracker hung so that I cannot access
> jobtrackerserver:7845/jobtracker.jsp and hadoop job -status hung as
> well.
>

> Then I stopped jobtracker and restarted it. However, the jobtracker
> cannot be started. I received error message from jobtracker.log.out
> saying
>

> Exception in thread "LeaseChecker" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap
> space
>
>        at
> java.io.BufferedOutputStream.<init>(BufferedOutputStream.java:59)
>
>        at
> java.io.BufferedOutputStream.<init>(BufferedOutputStream.java:42)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.setupIOstreams(Client.java:318)

>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client$Connection.access$1700(Client.java:176)
>
>        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.getConnection(Client.java:859)
>
>        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.call(Client.java:719)
>
>        at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Invoker.invoke(RPC.java:220)
>
>        at $Proxy4.renewLease(Unknown Source)
>
>        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor11.invoke(Unknown Source)
>
>        at

> Impl.java:25)

>        at

org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invokeMethod(RetryInvo
> cationHandler.java:82)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryInvocationHandler.invoke(RetryInvocation
> Handler.java:59)
>
>        at $Proxy4.renewLease(Unknown Source)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$LeaseChecker.renew(DFSClient.java:1016)

>        at
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$LeaseChecker.run(DFSClient.java:1028)

> Exception in thread "expireTrackers" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
> heap space
>
>        at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Arrays.java:2882)
>
>        at

java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(AbstractStringBuilder.jav
> a:100)
>
>        at
> java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(AbstractStringBuilder.java:390)
>
>        at java.lang.StringBuffer.append(StringBuffer.java:224)
>
>        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobHistory.log(JobHistory.java:354)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobHistory$MapAttempt.logStarted(JobHistory.jav
> a:1354)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.failedTask(JobInProgress.java:233
> 2)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.updateTaskStatus(JobInProgress.ja
> va:849)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobInProgress.failedTask(JobInProgress.java:246
> 3)
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.lostTaskTracker(JobTracker.java:3474
> )
>
>        at

org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker$ExpireTrackers.run(JobTracker.java:3
> 48)

> Exception in thread "IPC Server listener on 9001"

>        at

> a:39)
>
>        at

> Impl.java:25)

>        at org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog.warn(Slf4jLog.java:126)
>
>        at org.mortbay.log.Log.warn(Log.java:181)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:449)

>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:2
> 16)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)

>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:766)

>        at
> org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:417)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandler
> Collection.java:230)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)

>        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:534)

>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne
> ction.java:864)
>
>        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:533)
>
>        at
> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:207)
>
>        at
> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:403)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
> 409)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java
> :522)
>
> Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

>        at

> a:39)
>
>        at

> Impl.java:25)

>        at org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog.warn(Slf4jLog.java:126)
>
>        at org.mortbay.log.Log.warn(Log.java:181)
>
>        at org.mortbay.thread.Timeout.tick(Timeout.java:159)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager$SelectSet.doSelect(SelectorManager.ja
> va:587)
>
>        at
> org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectorManager.doSelect(SelectorManager.java:185)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.accept(SelectChannelConnect
> or.java:124)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractConnector$Acceptor.run(AbstractConnector.java:
> 707)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java
> :522)
>
> Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

>        at

> a:39)
>
>        at

> Impl.java:25)

>        at org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog.warn(Slf4jLog.java:126)
>
>        at org.mortbay.log.Log.warn(Log.java:189)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:563)

>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConne
> ction.java:864)
>
>        at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:533)
>
>        at
> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:207)
>
>        at
> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:403)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:
> 409)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java
> :522)
>
> Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Exception
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError occurred dispatching signal SIGTERM to
> handler- the VM may need to be forcibly terminated
>
> Exception in thread "retireJobs" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
> space

> Exception in thread "1586500830@qtp0-37" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> Java heap space

> Exception in thread "1513282332@qtp0-29" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> Java heap space

>        at

> a:39)
>
>        at

> Impl.java:25)

>        at org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog.warn(Slf4jLog.java:126)
>
>        at org.mortbay.log.Log.warn(Log.java:181)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.HashSessionManager.scavenge(HashSessionManager
> .java:281)
>
>       at

org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.HashSessionManager.access$000(HashSessionManag
> er.java:44)
>
>        at

org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.HashSessionManager$2.run(HashSessionManager.ja

--
Alexander Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com