From Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 <mahesw...@huawei.com>
Subject Re: risks of using Hadoop
Date Sat, 17 Sep 2011 04:08:05 GMT
Hi Kobina,

 Some experiences which may helpful for you with respective to DFS.

 1. Selecting the correct version.
    I will recommend to use 0.20X version. This is pretty stable version and all other organizations
prefers it. Well tested as well.
 Dont go for 21 version.This version is not a stable version.This is risk.

2. You should perform thorough test with your customer operations.
  (of-course you will do this :-))

3. 0.20x version has the problem of SPOF.
   If NameNode goes down you will loose the data.One way of recovering is by using the secondaryNameNode.You
can recover the data till last checkpoint.But here manual intervention is required.
In latest trunk SPOF will be addressed bu HDFS-1623.

4. 0.20x NameNodes can not scale. Federation changes included in latest versions. ( i think
in 22). this may not be the problem for your cluster. But please consider this aspect as well.

5. Please select the hadoop version depending on your security requirements. There are versions
available for security as well in 0.20X.

6. If you plan to use Hbase, it requires append support. 20Append has the support for append.
0.20.205 release also will have append support but not yet released. Choose your correct version
to avoid sudden surprises.

Regards,
Uma