From "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.go...@monsanto.com>
Subject Hadoop RPC and general serialization question
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:15:47 GMT
I was reviewing a video from Hadoop Summit 2011[1] where Arun Murthy mentioned that MRv2 was
moving towards protocol buffers as the wire format but I feel like this is contrary to an
Avro presentation that Doug Cutting did back in Hadoop World '09[2]. I haven't stayed up to
date with the Jira for MRv2 but is there a disagreement between contributors as to which format
will be the de facto standard going forward and if so what are the biggest points of contention?
The only reason I bring this up is I am trying to integrate a serialization framework into
our best practices and, while I am currently working towards Avro, this disconnect caused
a little concern.

Matt

*1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FpO7w6X41I
*2 - http://www.cloudera.com/videos/hw09_next_steps_for_hadoop

to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail
by you is strictly prohibited.

by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence
of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such
code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations
of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations
issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you
are obligated to comply with all