From N Keywal <nkey...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop question using VMWARE
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:37:36 GMT
For example:
- It's adding two layers (windows & linux), that can both fail, especially
under heavy workload (and hadoop is built to use all the resources
available). They will need to be managed as well (software upgrades,
hardware support...), it's an extra cost.
- These two layers will use randomly the different resources (HDD,
CPU,network) making issues and performance analysis more complicated.
- there will be a real performance impact. It's depends on what you do, and
how is configured Windows & vmware, but on my non optimized laptop I lose
more than 50%. VMWare claims 15% max, but it's without Windows (using direct
ESX)
- Last time I checked (a few months ago), vmware was not able to use all the
core & memory of medium sized servers.
- The namenode needs to be secured, as it's a spof.