From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop doesnt use Replication Level of Namenode
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2011 04:02:45 GMT
Ralf,

There is no current way to 'fetch' a config at the moment. You have
the NameNode's config available at NNHOST:WEBPORT/conf page which you
can perhaps save as a resource (dynamically) and load into your
Configuration instance, but apart from this hack the only other ways
are the ones Bharath mentioned. This might lead to slow start ups of
your clients, but would give you the result you want.

You can also write a simple service that 'serves' you the latest,
loaded configs from its location (you can use ZK for availability of
such a service). And all your code can use this location to get its
configuration objects from. This is another centralized way, I
suppose. IIRC someone on the list had something like this in place as
well.

Take it as something like flexibility. Client-side configurations are
flexible so that each client node can submit with their own
properties, based on its needs. You get finer control, but I agree
that at least a base-minimum server config could get auto-discovered.
That feature isn't present yet. Feel free to open or comment on
existing JIRAs surrounding this, and if possible, patches welcome! :)

--
Harsh J