From Eugene Kirpichov <ekirpic...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase and HDFS sync support in the main branch
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:06:36 GMT
Hello,

It appears from http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HdfsSyncSupport
that for more than at least the latest year, durable edits haven't
been supported by the main branch of HBase & HDFS - only by a non-main
branch, an unreleased branch and a third-party distribution.

This seems strange to me, as
http://hbase.apache.org/acid-semantics.html seems to claim that
durability is present, without indicating that it's actually not, by
default (part of the page looks like a plan, not like a claim about
the current state of things, which is also confusing).

Is this because durable edits are not that much of a needed feature?

[Disclaimer: I've not done much with HBase and Hadoop in general in a
while, so I may be asking questions completely stupid in the current
context]

--
Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/