From Steve Lewis <lordjoe2...@gmail.com>
Subject I need help talking to HDFS over a firewall
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:19:06 GMT
   I have a small piece of code which opens hdfs. When I run the code my a
machine riunning Windows 7 from work it connects perfectly

String host = "myhost"
  int port = 9000;

 String connectString =   "hdfs://" + host + ":" + port + "/";
Configuration config = new Configuration();
            config.set("fs.default.name",connectString);
            m_DFS = FileSystem.get(config);

When I run over a VPN from home it used to work but has stopped . The Hadoop
cluster at work may have been reconfigured

My windows firewall is turned off
telnet myhost 9000 works from the command line
http://hyhost:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?dir=/<http://glados1:50075/browseDirectory.jsp?dir=/>
 shows me the contents of HDFS

Our IT department insists is a firewall of some issue on my end. They also
insist that once I am connected through the VPN nothing is blocked on their
end.

Is there any way this could be a cluster or hadoop issue. Again all of my
code talking to the cluster runs fine at work and nothing works from home
--
Steven M. Lewis PhD
4221 105th Ave NE