From robert <robert-hamil...@austin.rr.com>
Subject Ganglia 3.2 and Hadoop .20.2
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:27:19 GMT
I downloaded the latest version of Ganglia and compiled and installed
on my Hadoop cluster. Configured according to the documented
procedures. The latest stable version of Ganglia is 3.2, and I am
using hadoop-0.20.2-cdh31

I just copied the gmond.conf from the distribution to the nodes. It
has what look like default values 239.2.11.71 for mcast_join and port
8649 throughout.

The core (non hadoop) Ganglia reporting works fine, but Ganglia is not
communicating with Hadoop in any reproducible way.  I got reporting on
one node once, got a *different* node reported from telnet localhost
8649 once, but more generally get no reporting of hadoop metrics at
all!  When I bounce the cluster and/or gmond I may or may not get any
difference in behavior. It is frustrating because the behavior seems
to be random and not reproducible.

I wonder if there is a problem with version compatibility?  If there
were release notes indicating a compatibility issue I didn't see them
on the ganglia site.  At this point, I'm tempted to give up on Ganglia
for hadoop metrics and look for alternatives.

Any ideas?