From Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk>
Subject Re: Timer jobs
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:55:09 GMT
Vitalii Tymchyshyn skrev:
> 01.09.11 18:14, Per Steffensen написав(ла):
>> Well I am not sure I get you right, but anyway, basically I want a
>> timer framework that triggers my jobs. And the triggering of the jobs
>> need to work even though one or two particular machines goes down. So
>> the "timer triggering mechanism" has to live in the cluster, so to
>> speak. What I dont want is that the timer framework are driven from
>> one particular machine, so that the triggering of jobs will not
>> happen if this particular machine goes down. Basically if I have e.g.
>> 10 machines in a Hadoop cluster I will be able to run e.g. MapReduce
>> jobs even if 3 of the 10 machines are down. I want my timer framework
>> to also be clustered, distributed and coordinated, so that I will
>> also have my timer jobs triggered even though 3 out of 10 machines
>> are down.
> Hello.
>
> AFAIK now you still have HDFS NameNode and as soon as NameNode is down
> - your cluster is down. So, putting scheduling on the same machine as
> NameNode won't make you cluster worse in terms of SPOF (at least for
> HW failures).
>
> Best regards, Vitalii Tymchyshyn

I believe this is why there is also a secondary namenode. But with two
namenodes it is still to centralized in my opinion, but guess Hadoop
people know that, and that the namenode-role will be even more
distributed in the future. But that does not change the fact that I
would like to have a real distributed clustered scheduler.