From Devaraj k <devara...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Too many fetch failures. Help!
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:39:24 GMT
Hi Bharath,

There are few reasons to cause this problem. I have listed below some reasons with solutions.
This might help you to solve this. If you post the logs, the problem can be figured out.

Reason 1:
It could be that the mapping in the /etc/hosts file is not present.
The DNS server is down as a result of which the hostnames cannot be resolved.
The DNS server is in-correctly configured.

Solution: Setting the slave.host.name property can be one solution.  Appropriate changes need
to be done based on the problem.

Reason 2: If the map outputs are larger, we may get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap
space. Because of this there are too many fetch failures.

Solution: The error, java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space in task tracker logs can
be solved by any of the following methods:

By decreasing the value configured for mapred.job.shuffle.input.buffer.percent.
By increasing the heap memory of child JVM options for the property mapred.child.java.opts.

Thanks
Devaraj