From "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.go...@monsanto.com>
Subject RE: Question about RAID controllers and hadoop
Date Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:23:38 GMT
If I read that email chain correctly then they were referring to the classic JBOD vs multiple
disks striped together conversation. The conversation that was started here is referring to
JBOD vs 1 RAID 0 per disk and the effects of the raid controller on those independent raids.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Kai Voigt [mailto:k@123.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:17 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about RAID controllers and hadoop

Yahoo did some testing 2 years ago: http://markmail.org/message/xmzc45zi25htr7ry

But updated benchmark would be interesting to see.

Kai

Am 12.08.2011 um 00:13 schrieb GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000):

> My assumption would be that having a set of 4 raid 0 disks would actually be better than
having a controller that allowed pure JBOD of 4 disks due to the cache on the controller.
If anyone has any personal experience with this I would love to know performance numbers but
our infrastructure guy is doing tests on exactly this over the next couple days so I will
pass it along once we have it.

> Matt

to be received only by persons entitled
> to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately. Please delete it and
> all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail
by you is strictly prohibited.

> All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and
archival by Monsanto, including its
> subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the
presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
> Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by
any such code transmitted by or accompanying
> this e-mail or any attachment.
>

> The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and
regulations of the United States, potentially
> including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions
regulations issued by the U.S. Department of
> Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information
you are obligated to comply with all

--
Kai Voigt
k@123.org